Maisons-Alfort (French pronunciation:[mɛ.zɔ.al.fɔʁ]) is a commune in the southeastern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located 8.4km (5.2mi) from the center of Paris.
Maisons-Alfort is famous as the location of the National Veterinary School of Alfort, the most renowned veterinary medical school in France. The Fort de Charenton, constructed between 1841 and 1845, has since 1959 housed the Commandement des Écoles de la Gendarmerie Nationale.
Originally, Maisons-Alfort was called simply Maisons. The name Maisons comes from Medieval Latin Mansiones, meaning "the houses".
At the creation of the commune during the French Revolution, the name of the hamlet of Alfort was joined with the name of Maisons. The name Alfort comes from the manor built there by Peter of Aigueblanche, Bishop of Hereford (England), in the middle of the 13th century. The name of this Manor of Hereford was corrupted into Harefort, then Hallefort, and eventually Alfort. The National Veterinary School of Alfort...* material from wikipedia.org Read full Wiki article