Ilirska Bistrica (pronounced[iˈliːrska ˈbiːstritsa]; Italian: Villa del Nevoso (before 1927 Bisterza), German: Illyrisch Feistritz) is a town in Slovenia. It is the seat of the Municipality of Ilirska Bistrica. It belongs to the traditional region of Inner Carniola.
The name Ilirska Bistrica has its origin during the times of the Austrian Empire, in which the adjective Ilirska (in German: Illyrisch) was added to the old name Bistrica (German: Feistritz) to differentiate it from other towns in the empire that had the same name, such as Banská Bystrica in modern-day Slovakia. The name Ilirska Bistrica thus means 'Illyrian Bistrica', referring to the Kingdom of Illyria, an administrative unit of the Austrian Empire between 1816 and 1849.
Coat of arms
The town's coat of arms represents the history of the region, recalling the pre-Slavic Ilyrian people that once populated the area, along with their shipbuilding past. The town's current coat of arms was adopted in the mid-19th...* material from wikipedia.org Read full Wiki article